Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Wilson finds magazine work exciting and fun

Jillian Wilson is working as an intern for magazine publisher Bozzi Media in Spokane. Here's how she describes her summer:

"My internship has been a great experience so far. I have been able to learn a lot more about design work, which has been fun because I am really interested in pursuing that in the future. The environment I work in is great. The people are really friendly and super helpful.

"I think I surprised my supervisor with how many different skills I already had just from the classes we've had to take; they were able to get me involved in many more things because of this. I have been taking lots of pictures for four different magazines published by Bozzi Media (Prime Magazine, IB Catalyst Magazine, Spokane Coeur d'Alene Living Magazine, and Washington State Magazine), whether that be for ads, stories, or graphics. I was really happy when the editor of Spokane Cd'A asked if I wanted to write a short article. I now not only get to take photos but they are letting me work on my writing as well, so that has been exciting.

"I have to say that what I have enjoyed the most, along with getting my name out there, has been meeting people and making connections. I've taken photos of the Coeur d'Alene tribal chief, eaten AMAZING French cuisine after taking pictures of the owners and their food for a restaurant review, and been introduced to some of the youngest and best business professionals in Spokane. The people have been genuinely nice, and it's fun getting to know them and their backgrounds. I've realized that the magazine industry is where I want to be and work, whether it be as a designer, photographer, editor, or if I'm lucky, a jack of all trades.

"It's a proud feeling when you see your work in a magazine that reaches hundreds of thousands of people."

No comments: